Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Best Is Yet To Come

God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. (Gen. 1:31a)

I'm sitting on the sofa in my living room, listening to the wind whistle around the house. It has been raining off and on all day, and the leaves are being pulled off the trees at a rapid rate, making their way across the landscape to settle at last, somewhere in the distance. Out for a walk earlier with my granddaughter, I admired the multicolored carpet that the leaves from a big maple tree on our property had made. My granddaughter said we were on a 'nature walk'. Clipboard in hand, she was documenting all the nature-type things that she saw: a bird, a bug, a hummingbird....she is only five years old, so the spelling was a bit off, and the huge letters covered almost the whole page. But I am glad that she is noticing nature, and learning to appreciate it.

Many times, especially since living the country, I am moved by the scenery and the weather that I encounter. The sights, sounds and smells can be entirely captivating. Indeed, I wish I could somehow keep them captive. The blue of the sky, the sight of cows happily munching in the field, their tails lazily swishing away the flies. The sound of crickets, the bright colors of the birds that visit our bird feeder, the smell of the air after a summer rain. So many things that bring a burst of joy and praise to my heart. I wonder why I am so entranced sometimes. I wish I could hug it all to myself, bottle it up, preserve it all somehow. There is so much beauty that just happens, seemingly without effort, that we take for granted. We drive by, sit in the midst of, or even complain about (when the weather is less than pleasant) so many incredible vistas.

I am just thinking out loud here. But I believe the thing I am trying to put my finger on is the notion that all of it is sacred. All of it is Gods signature, His calling card, His reminders to us that He is the Designer, Creator and Sustainer of it all. I don't mean to imply that He is literally in all of it, but everything that He has made is good. He said so Himself. Yet even as I wonder at the beauty of it all, I am aware in my heart of hearts that my appreciation and praise falls far short of what is deserved. And too, even the beauty itself has fallen, with the rest of mankind, because of Adam's sin. It, like us, has yet to be restored to its original glory. I so look forward to that time, when all is as it should be, and God's perfect plan of redemption has come to fulfillment.

For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. (Romans 8:19-21)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the sound of a windy day or night!!! Plus I love the different colors autumn brings, and I love the sound of the ruffling foliage when I'm walking through!!!

I'm so thankful to God that He's brought back my sense of smell again!!! Some nights ago, I opened a window and I could smell the fresh scent of fall.

Isn't God great!!!

God's blessings to you!!!

Bernadette said...

I always love reading your post.Fall is my favourite time of year,love the colours and the cool fall air..I am so God has placed me here in Canada where we have the four seasons,we are so blessed..and I am so blessed to have you as my sister..Love Bernadette xo

Maureen said...

Hi Lon..yes we have so much to thank God for. He helps us to appreciate the simple things in life, knowing that every good gift is from Him. God bless you Lon!

Maureen said...

Bernie yes we are so blessed...in so many ways. I love you too...xo Mac xo

At Heart Level said...

Sometimes I think God created fall for colour junkies like me. There are some trees that just defy description. He is so good!!!!
God bless you, Maureen
Michele D

Maureen said...

Michele you are right, there are some that defy description. They can only be enjoyed and marveled at. Aren't we so blessed to live in this part of the world? Four seasons to enjoy, each one with its own particular beauty.