Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Future Hope

I'm reading a book about godly eating habits. The author suggests writing a list of 10 things that you are thankful for. In making my list, the thought came to me that I am thankful for my future. Now, I can't say that I have ever included "my future" any time in counting my blessings. Yes, I have been thankful for the glorious truth that I will eventually be in Heaven with Jesus. But today, when I thought of being thankful for my future, I was thinking more about my remaining days on earth.

Having struggled with depression off and on for many years, I couldn't help but be pleasantly surprised that I was feeling hopeful about the future. More often, I think of it with a certain amount of anxiety and pessimism. But today was different. Today, as I was thinking about it, I saw the future as only good, because my Lord is in control of it. Even if "bad" stuff happens, I know it will have been ordained by Him. Because His thoughts and ways are so much higher and better than mine, I can trust that, no matter what, He is working on my behalf, in spite of what circumstances might look like.

I hope that you, also, have placed your future, and your hope, in Him. He is in control of all things, and if you are His child, no dark cloud, no plan or purpose of man, can thwart His plan and purpose for your life. He, the ruler of the universe, is for you.

For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These bad things happened to you because I intend to work it together for your good (Romans 8).
These happened so that you would rely more on God who raises the dead (2 Corinthians 1).
This happened so that the gold and silver of your faith would be refined (1 Peter 1).
This thorn is so that the power of Christ would be magnified in your weakness (2 Corinthians 12).

God cannot make plain all he is doing, because there are millions and millions and millions and millions of effects of every event in our lives, the good and the bad. God guides them all. They all have micro purposes and macro purposes. He cannot tell us all of them because our brains can’t hold all of them.
Trust does not demand more than God has told us. And he has given us immeasurably precious promises that he is in control of all things and only does good to his children. And he has given us a very thick book where we can read story after story after story about how he rules for the good of his people.